With it finally FEELING like summertime in the midwest, I thought it would be a good idea to share some of my favorite summer essentials. Here are some of my must have’s for this summer:
- You should be wearing this any time you are exposed to the sun, not just when you’re on a beach. (Think yard work, playing bags outside, sitting outside on your laptop “working.”) I really like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunscreen because it’s not greasy or slimy. This is helpful so you don’t look like a shiny, greasy mess when you are somewhere other than a pool. It’s lightweight and applies very evenly. I don’t go anything less than 30/45 on the SPF, either. When I was younger, I didn’t think twice about sunscreen and would use “oil” with spf 4 in it. Listen, I’m all about getting a little color, but I don’t think anyone wants to get skin cancer (OR wrinkles) these days.
- Chapstick with SPF
- I like cherry or vanilla Chapstick with SPF 15. I feel like that brand stays on the best and the longest and I’ve done the leg work cuz I can be kind of a chapstick hoarder. (how many of you read that and that I was going to say something else? hehehe)
- Coconut Oil
- This shiznit is one of the greatest little secrets/untapped resources. If you ever DO get a sunburn, apply this before bed (minimally) and as often as you can to the burnt area… if you do so and keep up with it, there’s a very slim chance you will peel. It’s also way more soothing than aloe vera – it takes the sting out of a burn. A lovely latin woman told me about it when I had a bad sunburn years ago and it’s been in my summer arsenal ever since. A little goes a long way, so it’s well worth the initial investment. (I think I’ve had the above-pictured jar for about 2 years now and it was $20). And both my sister and I also use it as a moisturizer at night! Yep, you don’t have to spend tons of money on skin care… sometimes the best product is just something natural. Aaaand, you can actually cook with the stuff too! No kidding!
- Good books
- The two I just started are “Luckiest Girl Alive” and “Paddle Your Own Canoe.” The former is supposed to be a mind twister, like “Gone Girl,” and the latter is actually written by a comedian that I find to be hilarious. He was on Parks and Recreation and he’s actually from Chicagoland. But his book (and his standup, shoutout to Netflix) is really about being decent people, and kind of making fun of the people that think they are and act otherwise.
- You know we’re all supposed to get like 8 glasses of water in a day (or whatever)… Well in the summer, you should get even more. I make sure I always have a Tervis full of water with me, wherever I am. And if I go out to eat, I try and get a glass of water in addition to whatever else I’m drinking. It’s great for your skin and it’s great for your body (to flush out toxins, etc.)
- I don’t go anywhere without these bad boys. I love music and make monthly playlists for what kind of mood I’m feeling. My current list has everything from “Shut Up and Dance” to Ed Sheeran, to Jessie J, to old school Luda. I don’t discriminate, I just love music to sing (beautifully) or dance (gracefully) to. 😉
- I like men’s/unisex sunglasses. I think I have a lot of face (large head) going on here and dainty women’s sunglasses just don’t cover it. These are from Banana Republic from last year. I scratched my last pair and bought these as a backup for when I finally decided I couldn’t see out of my left eye anymore. I now keep them in a case…most (some) of the time to keep that from happening again.
There are a few of my summer essentials! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!